Tuesday, December 19, 2023

Making my environment more portable

 I have a bit more than a few Linux hosts on my LAN and most of my work's computer systems are Linux as well. I wanted to have something to synchronize my bash, tmux, and vim settings everywhere I work. I crafted a simple "env" project with a setup script which replaces these configuration files with softlinks to files in the project. I use git to first clone the project and then run setup to get everything in place.

I also found that I was occasionally updating these setting files. Obviously I used git to keep track of these changes. I took this a step further and put a function in my bash profile to check if the env project has any upstream changes to pull. This is a very rudimentary synchronization system and does quite nicely to keep my environment consistent wherever I roam.

No comments:

Post a Comment